Not every order can work out, and sometimes it will need to be cancelled. How you go about doing that will depend on a few circumstances:
Are you a buyer?
Buyers do not have the ability to cancel an order themselves. The only way to cancel an order is to request a cancellation with the seller. Please write on the order page and kindly ask the seller to cancel the order for you, along with the reason why you wish to cancel.
Do keep in mind that it is the buyer’s responsibility to read and review all of the information in the seller's Shipping and Payment Terms before placing an order. Once a buyer places an order, they have agreed to abide by these terms through the duration of their order. Matters such as shipping costs, item prices and payment methods should be discussed and agreed before an order is placed. This is not usually seen as a valid reason for cancellation.
Are you a seller?
Orders can be cancelled via the order page (so long as you haven’t been invoiced for that order). Discogs does not invoice sellers for cancelled orders. If orders are cancelled after the fee invoice has been paid, a fee credit will be issued.
To cancel an order:
- From the Marketplace drop-down menu, click on Orders, under "Sell Music".
- Click on the link to the order number you want to cancel.
- On the Order page, click the “Cancel” button located at the top of the order page.
- Select the appropriate cancellation option and submit the pop-up.
- Leave the buyer a message explaining why the order was cancelled.
What are my cancellation options?
Non-Paying Buyer - The buyer has not paid for this order after 4 days of having the ability to pay. Automated negative feedback is left for the buyer with this cancellation status. The feedback will state: "No payment received from buyer after # days". Buyers who receive this automated negative feedback cannot leave feedback in return.
- You may cancel an order as Non-Paying Buyer only if you have invoiced the buyer, not modified the order in any way, given the buyer 4 full days to make payment, and the order has not yet been invoiced for Discogs sales fee invoice.
Don’t forget that Non Paying Buyer cancellations can be automated within your Seller Settings!
Item Unavailable - Some or all of the items in this order are unavailable. No negative feedback is left for the buyer and the option to leave the buyer feedback is removed. The buyer can still leave positive, neutral or negative feedback for the seller. The items on orders cancelled as Item Unavailable, will automatically be removed from the seller's listings and cannot be automatically re-listed.
- Orders should be cancelled per Item Unavailable when one or more items in an order are missing, sold or not available to a buyer for any reason. This cancellation option also applies to orders where shipping costs turns out to be more expensive than what is stated in the Seller Terms when the buyer placed the order.
Per Buyer's Request - The buyer wishes to cancel this transaction. The order is cancelled by the seller, per the buyer's request. This cancellation option is at the discretion of the seller. The option to leave feedback is left open for both buyer and seller.
- If you are unable to cancel an order, due to already being billed for it, please use the support request form to request an invoice adjustment (include the order numbers that you have want cancellation for).
How can I re-list an item after I cancel an order?
You can re-list items from either your Inventory Management page or directly from the order page.
- From the Inventory Management page, check the box next to the item you want to re-list, and then click "Mark for Sale".
- From the order page, you can re-list items once the order is cancelled. From the order page, check the box next to the item, and then click "Relist item(s) For Sale". If the cancelled order included multiple items and you want to re-list all of them, simply check the top "Select All" box and then click "Relist item(s) For Sale".
Note: You will not be able to re-list an item from an order that was cancelled as "Item Unavailable".
How do I note a refund on the order page?
Sometimes it will be necessary for a seller to provide a partial or full refund for an order. In that case, it is possible for buyers and sellers to assist each other in confirming the refund in order to automatically credit back the sales fees for the seller.
To mark a refund on the order page:
- Before using the "Mark as Refund Sent" feature, be sure that you have issued the refund through the original payment method. For instance, if the buyer paid with PayPal, you will need to send a PayPal refund to the buyer for the relevant amount.
- On the order page, click the "More" button and select the "Mark As Refund Sent" option:
- A pop up will ask you to enter the total amount you're refunding.
- Note: The "Mark as Refund Sent" order status is available only to sellers when an order is marked "Payment Received" or "Shipped".
- If the refund includes cents, don’t forget to us a dot ( . ) and not a comma ( , ) to separate the dollars and cents. This applies to all currencies.